This blog tracks updates to the Blood Sugar 101 Web site.


Monday, January 12, 2015

Updated 5% Club Page with Reports from 2014

Page changed: The 5% Club They Normalized Their Diabetic Blood Sugar and So Can You!

Updated some outdated links. 

Added:

Note: After the newsgroup succumbed to robot-spam, I received many more such reports from readers of the site and my books who emailed me, but because most of them repeated the experiences described by newsgroup participants, I stopped updating this page. Now, in response to request from site visitors for more recent stories, I have started off this section with extracts from reports I received from visitors to this site and readers of my books during 2014, This should reassure you that people who follow the strategies I recommend continue to report these very exciting results.

Reports from Members of the 5% Club


  2007 Dx'd at 358 bg fasting and a 10.3 HbA1c.  I got into the 5% club within the first 18 months keeping only metformin. I have had only one in 6's since (6.2), and my last test a week ago was my lowest at 5.5.  I do shoot [insulin] now (4 yrs) to give my remaining betas a rest plus basal because I could not get the fasting down on my own. I"m usually 5.7-  5.9 hba1c.
  --Bill 1/7/2015



October 2011 I was sent by ambulance to ER.  EMT could not read my BG. All their meter showed was "HI". Not uncommon for DKA you might be thinking, but the meter they used topped at 900.  Needless to say they started IV insulin immediately.  When I got to the ER they took a reading; "HI" again.  Talk about panic.  Their meter topped at 1500!  It was so high they couldn't even measure an A1c. 

So fast forward to now.  How am I doing?  Well I don't take any medications, I eat very low carb, and rarely see a meter reading over 110- typically under 100 at any time. 

A1c has been in the 4.8-5.2 range for over two years now.  Which I will take as a 5.0 and chalk the 0.2 variance to lab error.  Not too shabby!
--David 12/20/2014


I sent you an email a couple years ago to thank you for helping me turn around my Type II and get it under control.
 
I am 53 years old and yesterday I had a doctor’s appointment and A1C was 5.9.

--W. 12/19/2014


I started to apply your principles and my results are going very fast, with no medication. ... The principles work....2014
October 23 — lab FBG 217, a1c 9.4

November 10 — FBG 125, lab a1c 8.5

November 20 - FBG 105, home a1c 7.8

Today, November 21 — FBG 95
--Inez 11/21/2014


I was diagnosed Type 2 ,3 and a half months ago at 49 with a A1C of 12 % and a fasting sugar of 18.8. I was told by the Doctors to take metformin 'if my kidneys were not damaged already' and that I would be on insulin in a few years.They told me it was extremely difficult to lower your A1C even with drugs.My feet  were becoming numb and my eyes were bad as well as all the other symptoms,I had them all and I had been in denial.

After the shock of the diagnosis and what the Doctors said I thought I was finished,a short painful life probably with my feet amputated all because I had got fat.I was nearly having panic attacks but I started reading everything I could , diabetes books and sites on the internet including yours and I started feeling more positive.

I refused the metformin (maybe it was unwise with those numbers) and started a low carb diet with non starchy vegetables,I took supplements like co-enzyme 10 and alpha lipoic acid,I did alot of exercise both aerobics and weights,and tested my blood sugar regularly. I was very strict and motivated and I lost about 33 lbs in that time but the most amazing thing was my blood was tested the other day and my A1C was 5.8%.I knew it had dropped on my meter but was amazed that my A1C dropped so much so quickly. I had to ask the Doctor for the result,there was no acknowledgement from him and they want to retest me,probably can't believe you can do that so quickly with no medication,
--Yvonne 8/28/2014


I have now completed my first year since diagnosis. My A1c at diagnosis was 7.7. Three months later it was 5.2 and has remained at 5.2 ever since.
Your advice and my solid health care coverage (two full plans from two employers), which means I can test, baby, test have been the keys to my success.

I have lost 112 lbs, without really trying and am gently slowing down.

--Fred 7/28/2014


I am a 70 year old woman who got the diagnosis of diabetes early in May this year.  My doctor wanted me to try to handle it with diet and exercise.  I went to the dietician to receive nutritional instruction.  She but me I a diet of 75 grams of carbohydrates for each meal 3 times a day along with some routine literature, and told me not to test more than twice a day.  Needless to say I did not really reduce my blood glucose dramatically even though I cut down my carb intake below her recommendations.  I was becoming somewhat depressed.

I found your site and it became crystal clear what I needed to do.  I bought a scale.  I reduced my carb intake to low amounts, tested rigorously, and have worked up to 40 minute work outs every day.  I am testing under 120 an hour after every meal and now some mornings I am under 100 even though my count goes up during the night. 
--Christine 5/25/2014


About 3 months ago I went to my doctor thinking that I must be doing
great!  I eliminated most meat from my diet, and stuck to a fish,
vegetable, fruit, and grain diet.  My A1c was higher than before at
7.4.  My doctor told me to avoid all sugars and come back in 3 months
for another A1c test.  I came across your site which gave more details
on how to eat right and get my blood sugar under control.  I eat mostly
grass fed or organic meats, vegetables, and raw seeds and nuts.  My A1c
result is now 5.7 on today's visit to my doctor.  It would have been
lower, had I not had the 2 jelly filled doughnuts three weeks ago...
--Tom 5/22/2014


I emailed you about 1-1/2 years ago, all excited about losing a bunch of weight and getting my blood sugar under control. You congratulated me, and put me in my place a bit by telling me that if I made it 3 years, that would really be considered a success.

Well, as of January 22, it has been 3 years.  I have kept off the 120plus pounds lost, my A1C is 5.1, and I'm still working out every day. I have even been able to stop taking Metformin with no adverse results. Thank you again for your encouragement and research. It has been invaluable.

--Craig 2/11/2014


I'm a rocket scientist (seriously... ) who REALLY had problems with what my diabetes-diet-councilor was telling me.... Heck, I learned about the krebs cycle in high-school.... Heck, I taught high-school biology just after the Army & none of my STUDENTS would buy that banana-juice I was being fed...You provided understandable & useful information... my A1c is down from 9.7 to 5.7 on just metformin, glipizide, and a diet worked out with your TEST,TEST,TEST method

--Scott 1/08/2014


Note: Because of space constraints, I have omitted the many reports I have received between 2014 and 2007 when I stopped updating this web page as there were already more reports than most people wanted to read.

No comments: